Lamp Rewiring Services
Long Island Antique Rewiring Services
Looking for lamp rewiring services on Long Island? The team at Luis Restorations has the experience you want from a rewiring team. Located in Bohemia, New York, we service clients from across Long Island. For more information about our rewiring and restoration services, please give our office a call today. The number for our office is 631-741-5635. Get an estimate for our rewiring services today.
Get An Estimate
When you call, we can provide you with a no-obligation consultation to go over the certain lamp rewiring services you need. Once we understand the job, we can give you a fair and accurate estimate. Get full restoration of your antique when you turn to the professionals at Luis Restorations.
Rewiring Antique Lamps
Over the years of lamp manufacturing, there are different configurations that have been used. And each type of lamp may require a different approach when rewiring depending on the individual lamp assembly. Due to our years of experience, we can diagnose the issue and come up with the best solution.
Here are some common guidelines for rewiring a standard lamp type. Our staff takes all aspects of the restoration and rewiring into consideration when working.
- Screw the new socket cap onto a threaded pipe.
- At the lamp base, run lamp cord through side outlet hole in the lamp base and up through the center pipe. If the base does not have a side outlet hole, then we will run the wire up through the lamp pipe.
- Slide the wire through the socket cap.
- Slightly pull apart the wire, so the wire leads are long enough to tie a UL knot with a little wire left over to connect to the socket terminals.
- Determine the neutral wire and the hot wire of the lamp. The wire with the smooth plastic covering is the hot one and the wire with the slight ribs in plastics in the neutral one.
- Wrap the hot wire around the brass terminal and then wrap the neutral wire around the silver terminal and tighten the screws.
- Slip a carboard insulating sleeve over the socket. The slip the remaining outer metal shell over the socket, which snaps it into place.
Antique Lamp Tightening
Some lamps may simply need a good tightening. If the lamp assembly is loose, then there may be a nut on the bottom of the lamp that we can tighten. When tightening an antique lamp, we hold the socket to make sure the lamp assembly stays still during the process. For ceramic or glass lamps, we will use extra care and precaution during the tightening. Too much pressure can cause the lamp the crack.
If the wiring of the lamp is loose, then we will remove the socket cap and tighten the screws that hold together the wires. And we may replace the cap to make sure it snaps back into place.
Choosing Replacement Parts
Once we inspect the lamp, it is important for us to properly diagnose the issue and select the correct replacement parts for the lamp.
When we replace a lamp socket, we look at all possible options and which are suitable for the current situation. It all comes down the features of the antique lamp, such as type, style, finish and function. Our staff has years of experience and will make the right decision.
When we rewire an antique lamp, we often will replace the lamp cord. An age lamp wire tends to crack and become brittle over time, which can be dangerous. When rewiring, it is easiest to use a cord with a plug already attached. We will choose the best lamp cord for the given situation and ensure its installation is safe. There are authentic lamp cords perfect for antique lamps that will keep the lamp's older look, while updating the cord to current standards.